Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

Speeches

So I am practicing speeches for Academic Decathlon by recording myself imitating other famous speeches, and I couldn't find the words for Nick Selby's speech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98nNpzE6gIs - for the Georgia Tech freshman convocation. I transcribed them here (This is not the full speech - just the epic part) :

We chose Georgia Tech, because we want to do the impossible. And this school is equipped with the resources and faculty to help us do just that. And so in the words of Sir Isaac Newton, "if I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Georgia Tech is proud of its many traditions, but the one I find most exciting is our tradition of excellence. Our mission as students is not to follow in the footsteps of the astronauts, Nobel prize laureates, and president who graduated before us, but to exceed their footsteps, crush the giants on whom we stand. We here are all such innovative people. So I am telling you (nod), "if you want to change the world, you're at Georgia Tech; you can do that. If you want to build the Ironman suit, you're at Georgia Tech; you can do that. If you want to play theme music at your convocation speech like a badass, we're at Georgia Tech; we can do that. I am doing that! Congratulations on your acceptance, and brace yourselves for a helluva ride on your way to becoming a helluva engineer.



No comments:

Post a Comment